Gluten Free Chocolate Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Yes, I said chocolate chocolate! Not a typo…..this cake has tons of flavor and tons of chocolate.
Again, this is another recipe that I have been meaning to post since late February. It is now a month later and I am finally getting around to posting this delicious chocolate zucchini cake for you all!!
I debated on making this a low carb cake, but I didn’t. Here in our house Faith is not only allergic to gluten but she is also allergic to coconut, which means no coconut flour in our house. I would typically substitute Almond Flour, but wasn’t sure how the flavor would be with only almond flour, as coconut has a sweet taste to it! So I went with my regular flour mixture of rice flour, almond, tapioca and so on……
I made this a month ago, but just made it again today, which made me realize I had never posted this recipe. So here goes…hope you all enjoy it as much as we do.
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mixture, I used my Namaste Flour mixture this time
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar, I used a low carb sweetener, Monkfruit
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (I have used 2 cups before, but this time I only used 1 cup which is usually about 1 zucchini)
- 3/4 cup sugar-free dark chocolate mini chips
- Using a large mixing bowl (I hand mix this cake) combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add in eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in shredded zucchini, mix well.
- Mix in mini chocolate chips, I use Enjoy Life dark chocolate ones
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan, pour cake and spread it out
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (I usually start at 20 minutes and check it then to see if it needs more cooking time or not)
- Cool and then frost
- 1 3/4 stick of butter
- 4 large tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound (1 bag powder sugar – regular or swerve powder sugar)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecan
Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan. Once melted, add in cocoa powder, stir until well combined. Add in milk and vanilla. Add powdered sugar slowly, combining after each addition. Make sure your heat is on low at this point. Once everything is well combined, add in pecans. Take off heat and pour over the cake.
I will be honest, sometimes, this cake doesn’t get to sit very long. We dive right into it when it’s still warm!! It’s delicious either way, warm or letting it cool for awhile!