Developing a routine and making it a habit
So in my last post, which was like a month ago….ouch…I totally didn’t mean for that much time to go by in between posts – we/I have been extremely busy. Did you put to work your resolution or your goals? I sure did!
Now I can’t say that I have put all of my goals into play at this time, but I am working on it. I am writing them down and journaling daily on how to make myself better and how to make my goals work for me.
Honestly, it’s about taking time for you. Challenge yourself to take an hour a day, or maybe you start with 30 minutes a day, but take time for you. What are you going to do during that time…..WHATEVER YOU WANT!! That’s the beauty of it….it’s your time…..your hour. Make yourself better.
I have a daily routine. To be honest I have not always been this way. I have always been organized, but never a daily routine. I would totally quit on myself about mid-week, every week. By the time Thursday rolled around I would be tired from the week and decide to go ahead and get up at 5:30am, but I would sit on the couch, drink coffee, and go through my phone or watch the news. After 30 minutes of doing nothing (seriously….nothing) I realized I had just wasted 30 minutes of my life sitting there scrolling through my phone with nothing productive being done or even read. Do you ever feel like that? More importantly do you ever do that? I’m not saying it’s not okay to sit and mindlessly scroll through your phone and do nothing, but I felt like I could be doing something much more productive and doing something that would totally benefit me for the rest of the day.
Once I had that mind set I put together a list of things that I felt would make me start my day better….what would make my whole day more productive if I just got up and did a few things…..here’s my list or more importantly here’s what I am doing now….DAILY……yes DAILY… even Satruday’s and Sunday’s, because guess what, it takes 21 days to create a habit. Here’s my morning routine;
- 5:30am – alarm goes off/wake up brush teeth and change into work-out clothes (I keep these by the bathroom door)
- 5:45am – in the kitchen packing up Grace’s lunch for the day
- 5:50am – feeding the cat and dog and sweeping my mud room and quickly go downstairs to make sure Grace is up
- 5:55am – putting my work-out on the TV and gathering my equipment
- 6:00 – 6:30am – working out (I was so sore the first week)
- 6:35am – fixing coffee and guzzling water trying to recover
- 6:45am – getting Faith up for the day
- 7:00am – reading daily motivations or watching some news and drinking my coffee
- 7:30am – out the door to feed Gator (the horse), feed all the cats, let chickens and ducks out….I love greeting everyone in the mornings. It really is one of my favorite parts of the day even though most mornings right now it’s like 20 degrees.
- 8:00am – I am back inside getting ready to start school with Faith
For the past 21 days this has been my schedule…yep I said 21 days. I started the 1st of February and have stuck with it since then. Let me just tell you I feel so much better, so much more energy than I did before. Now there are some mornings where I get out of bed and I really don’t want to….true. I have to have a little talk with myself while I’m brushing my teeth, but once I get moving, I keep moving. It’s totally a routine, a habit.
Girls, do this for you. Give your self a little time each day that is dedicated to you. No one else but you! Trust me it will help you so much in your day to life. I promise you will thank me for it later.