This is a night that I love using my slow cooker. I can throw everything in there mid morning and just leave it alone….forget about it.
The last few weeks for us have been extremely busy and it doesn’t seem to be slowing down tonight. I haven’t been home long enough to fix any meals really, except lunch, which is usually simple and fairly basic. We spent a week at the beginning of November in Tulsa, OK at the Color Breed Congress for my daughter to show. We were home a week, and ran like crazy, between lessons, cleaning the house, doing laundry so we could leave again for the weekend. We are back now, but tonight we have a band concert to attend so this is when the slow cooker comes in very handy.
I can’t even begin to tell you how many meals I have cooked in my slow cooker. I’ve had it for probably 15 years now and use it all the time in the winter. Tonight I decided to make my chicken tortilla soup.
This is a soup that I can change up. I can make it on the stove top in a Dutch Oven, slow cooker, or insta pot. I can add some cream cheese to this recipe and make it a creamy version. Tonight I am keeping basic, simple!
I started this around lunch time today and put the setting on low. With this recipe you can throw the chicken breast in and put everything on top of them and let them slow cook all day. Before serving, pull out the chicken breast – shred.
If you wanted to do this recipe in the Dutch Oven on the stove top, it would probably take 30-45 minutes, which isn’t bad, but I also didn’t want to get home this evening at 8pm and fix dinner!
Here is the slow cooker version.
- 3-4 chicken breast (thawed)
- 1 small/medium onion (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp chipotle chili powder (you can use just regular chili powder)
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 can (10oz) Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (no slat added) I always figure I can add the salt (not drained)
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 can (10oz) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15oz) black beans (drained)
- 6 cups of chicken broth (1 1/2 32oz cartons)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (add just before serving)
- optional – a few drops of your favorite hot sauce (Sriracha hot chili sauce or Tapatio)
This was it! I threw in the chicken breast on the bottom of the slow cooker. Put all the ingredients on top of them. Set it on low and let simmer all afternoon. After about 5 hours, I did pull the chicken breasts up and diced them up and put them back into the pot. I could have left them in longer and pulled them out later and they would have simply shredded, but I wanted to dice the chicken.
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- cron tortillas
- tortilla chips
- hot sauce (Sriracha or Tapatio)
- shredded cheese